Sunday 7 August 2011

Cornmeal Biscuits- Muy Caliente!

I love cornmeal anything. I seem to recall that corn muffins were a favourite of my mother's.  Warm with a little pat of butter...there's that word again! 

I bought many pounds of butter and am armed and ready for my adventure with cornmeal biscuits.  I decided to make a meal around them but wanted something different than the traditional chili or jambalaya.  Who is the Doyenne of Southern cooking?  Paula Deen y'all.  So I went on her website and found what looked like a delicious recipe for Cioppino Stew.  Okay not typically southern fare unless you are in Italy, but a seafood stew sounded just right.  Making some modifications as I often do (and I wonder why my baking sucks), I began my evening in the kitchen.

Looking at the recipe for the biscuits, I was delighted to find that there is no kneading of dough or cutting of biscuits.  Hey this one should be  easy.  Martha if you are reading this, I think the next edition of your Handbook of Baking should start with this recipe.

Once again, I follow the directions just as Matha wrote them...except that I added some minced pickled jalapeno peppers.  What can I say, old habits die hard and really how bad can some jalapenos screw up the biscuits?

As I mentioned, instead of cutting the biscuits out, you just drop them from a spoon.  I can do that!  I did that.  Somehow I thought that they would magically shape shift into perfectly formed biscuits.  I have spent far too much time pretending to be interested in sci-fi for Chin's sake. I take them out of the oven, 10 weird looking blobs of golden goodness.


You can actually smell the jalapenos and of course the butter. They are a little bit sweet, a little bit salty and just the right amount of heat from the jalapenos. My Cioppino is delicious and the biscuits are the perfect compliment to the stew. We enjoy our dinner that night.


Looking forward to cream cheese and chive biscuits next! I snuck a peek at thre recipe and they should be quite the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment