Tuesday 9 August 2011

I'm just wild about Wild Blueberries

Out of all the fruits of the harvest at this time of year, my favourite is wild blueberries.  There is just no comparison to the bland cultivated variety.  These little purple nuggets just burst with flavour and stain everything they come into contact with.  Despite looking like I just voted in an election in Iran,  I can sit and eat a whole pint.   But since I am on this baking journey, I decided to (shhhh...don't tell Martha) skip ahead a page and make blueberry muffins.  This also afforded me the opportunity to use my brand new shining Kitchenaid Stand Mixer!  Sure it takes up half my counter space, but it looks so professional!  I look so professional.  It is so heavy that I can barely move it. (Note to self: get to the weight room stat).

Now, I have made muffins before who hasn't, so I was not at all intimidated and in fact really relaxed and enjoyed myself.  There is something very soothing and calm about baking.  I like how you gently fold in ingredients.  Lightly knead dough and then you let it rest. You don't beat the sugar and butter, you cream them together.  And then finally, you dust the powdered sugar on top.  Practically a zen experience!

After doing some reading on ovens and what to do when you have a wayward one, I adjusted the temperature up by 10 degrees F. and the baking time was perfect.  All of the hints and tips that Martha espouses were spot on and I came out with a batch that not only tasted delicious, but looked like the picture in her book!  Have I reached the pinnacle in muffin making?    You decide:
Note my feeble attempt at food styling.  I think I might have to turn to Martha once again for home decor tips....

Oh, and thanks to Chin who takes these photos and politely says "yes dear" when I badger him about camera angles and lighting!

Oh, and if anyone is reading this blog, don't be shy to write a comment or two. I can take it!


1 comment:

  1. The muffins look fantastic. I have a suggestion, the next time you are in Montreal visiting, I don't know... your favorite sister... perhaps you could make cornmeal wild blueberry muffins as cornmeal is also my favorite. Sorry no fancy equipment, just lots of hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete