Monday 7 November 2011

I've got my Mojo (or is it Mojito) back!

No I have not been drinking heavily this weekend...the mojito reference is for these amazing Lime Shortbread with Lime Glaze cookies that I made. The mojo reference is that I am back on track with my baking.  With only a few interesting cookies left before I move on to brownies, blondies and squares, I chose these delicious and pretty biscuits along with the ever loved Chocolate Wafer cookies with Vanilla Cream filling (otherwise know as oreos). 

Both came out lovely, although the dough for the chocolate wafers was a bitch to roll out.  It is extremely sticky and even after refrigerating I could not get it to roll out as thin as Martha likes them and still get them onto a baking sheet.  Each time I tried it fell apart.  In the end, I rolled them on parchment paper on the baking sheet and had to use a wine bottle because my rolling pin is too long!  Jim was helping me by holding on to the parchment and baking sheet while I did that, so it was a family affair.  After you roll them out, they go into the freezer for an hour and then you cut out the circles from the frozen dough using a cookie cutter, or in my case a biscuit cutter. 

After I baked the first batch, I realized that they were a little bit large, so for the next batch decided to go with a slightly smaller size.  You know what happened next of course, when I took them off the cooling racks to make room for the Lime Shortbread, I mixed them all up!  So, when I went to fill them I had to sort through to find the matching sizes!

The Lime cookies also had to be refrigerated after forming the dough into a rectangular log.  Just before baking you slice them and there were no problems there...oh except for the couple that I cut too thin and baked to a crisp...but those went to the doggies. What I really liked about these cookies was the beautiful pale green lime glaze that you top them with once they are cooled.  Not only do they taste amazing (lime is my favourite citrus flavour), but they are so pretty! 

Enjoy these photos and if you would like the recipe, just leave me a comment and I will send or post it.



No comments:

Post a Comment