Monday 24 October 2011

Warning - too many cookies can make you fat!

I  have never been very good  practicing "moderation". I like to think that I can look a whole batch of freshly baked cookies in the eyes and say, "thanks, just one to taste".  I can't.  Firstly, cookies don't have eyes and though I am quite sure that they call out out to me, I know in my heart that they can't really talk.  Therefore, I have to take responsibility for my cookie munching ways. 

Last week, I felt that I really needed a break from baking sweets, so I decided to make a bread instead.  This was not my first time making bread, I used to bake my own bread quite regularly before Lilyan was born, but found myself a little busy after she came along.   I decided that I would bake a challah because it is delicious and makes me feel connected to my Jewish heritage.  There is a recipe for challah in Martha's book, so in keeping with my project, I decided to use that one.  While looking over the recipe, I noted that it used 8 - count them 8 egg yolks and was shaped in the traditional braid.  It all looked good so I went out to get some bread flour and some yeast.

Now, you may be thinking - a challah recipe from Martha Stewart?  Revered Queen of all Shicksas everywhere?  And you would be right!  No so great.  I will readily admit to not being the best baker-in-training, but it was not sweet enough, and lacked that cake-like quality that all Jews look for in a good challah.  I will take full responsibility for shape....


I also noticed that during my sugar free week, I felt better, did not have cravings for sweets and lost weight.  Hmmm....could there be a connection??  Well of course there is.  That stuff is damn addictive for me!  So, I put my cookie baking on hold for another week and decided to make a better challah.

During the week, I  browsed through a number of recipes looking for what I thought would be the perfect one.  I came across a recipe on a site for Jewish holidays that was contributed by Norene Gilletz from Second Helpings fame - the only cook book I remember having in the house when we were growing up.  This one had many less eggs and a little more sugar.  Instead of a braided challah, I thought that I would divide the dough in half and bake one half in a loaf pan and with the other, make some rolls that we would use for our fresh salmon cakes for dinner.

Why, oh why do I second guess myself?  The dough looked beautiful, shiny and smooth and it rose perfectly (twice), but when I punched it down the second time, it looked rather small and I thought dividing it would be a bit of a disaster.  I decided then to roll it into a loaf pan and make only the loaf and no buns.  Zut alors!  what a mistake!  Really there was too much dough for one loaf and it came out all misshapen on one side. From one side, it looked like a beautiful loaf of bread but from the other it had this huge ugly bulge!  I had completely forgotten to ask for a picutre to be taken of it before I  cut into it, so I cannot prove how ugly it was...let's just say I named it the Phantom of The Opera Challah.  Fitting because Lily, my friend Debra and I went to see the filmed version of the 25th anniversary production that was broadcast live from the Royal Abert Hall in London a few weeks prior.  It was phenomenal and if you have not seen it - go and do so!

Since I am on a roll (no pun...) with my weight loss at the moment, I will not yet go back to baking cookies and instead will make a third attempt at the perfect challah this coming weekend. I hope to report a great success next week.

1 comment:

  1. I've told you what to do with the extra cookies silly! :) I want to make bread that is light and fluffy like the bread in the stores. But all of mine is a little dense and heavy. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete