Friday 2 December 2011

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll make puff pastry

The reason why  most recipes that call for puff pastry list store bought pastry in the ingredients is that most people do not spend their ENTIRE DAY fussing around with pastry dough. This thing is more delicate and time consuming than having a baby.  Martha - being a purist (and who also has a staff dedicated to dough) of course calls for home made puff in her baked goods.  The last cookie in the chapter was a classic palmier.  Those are the crispy sweet treats that you often see in patisserie shops.  They look like this:  




I really love these and thought they would be a perfect end to my cookie adventure.  The recipe looks quite easy once the puff pastry is made.   So I made the pastry all day Saturday and the cookies almost all day on Sunday.  My cookies did not look like the beauties above.  Although I did not take a picture mine looked more like this:




Although less evenly browned and many were unrolled a lot more than these.  


The good news is that of the 3 lbs of puff pastry I made, this recipe only requires 12.5 oz so I have a frozen the rest and will continue to perfect them.  I know I can!  I know I can!  In the meantime I move on to cakes this weekend.  I have not been too successful baking cakes   - except for an occasional bundt or coffee cake, so I am taking a deep breath and plunging right in!    


We'll talk on Monday..... 



No comments:

Post a Comment